Healthcare - Health Services
At least 1 year(s)
PRN, hours determined by the departmentJob Description:
- High School Diploma/GED
- Minimum of 1 year of experience
- SUMMARY: This is a non-certified specialized position for coding, analyzing, and summarizing data from the medical record, using AHA national and hospital specific guidelines. Assigns and sequences ICD-9 diagnoses and procedures and CPT codes when indicated for inpatient medical records. Assigns and validates APR/ DRG assignment for case mix. Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reads the medical record to identify and translate diagnoses and procedures into codes using the current version of ICD-9-CM & CPT.
• Assigns APR/DRG and selects appropriate secondary diagnoses for severity of illness (95% accuracy)
• Maintains current Productivity Standards (1 super complex, 2 complex or 3 routine per hour)
• Queries physicians to clarify documentation of diagnoses and procedures to ensure complete and accurate coding.
• Abstracts medical records and reviews data elements required for reporting to HSCRC to ensure accuracy (98% accuracy).
• Performs any additional duties as assigned.
• Participates in department/section meetings.
• Attends/completes educational requirements in order to maintain coding proficiency.
• Maintains current knowledge of all new regulations and coding changes. To provide for the well-being of our patients, visitors, and staff, St. Agnes HealthCare requires that all prospective employees pass a criminal background check and drug/alcohol screening.
High school. Completion of Medical Terminology, Anatomy & Physiology courses.
Completion of ICD-9-cm, CPT coding courses.
Required Experience: A minimum of 1 years acute care inpatient coding/outpatient surgery experience