80 Hours biweeklyJob Description:
- High School Diploma/GED
- Minimum of 1 year of experience
- SUMMARY: Under general supervision independently performs a wide range of routine to complex histology laboratory tests to provide microscopic slides for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Identifies problems that may adversely effects test performance and/or results. Uses knowledge, deductive skills, and judgment to identify and resolve potential sources of error. Follows established guidelines and regulatory criteria. The Histology Technician receives and accurately processes surgical or diagnostic tissue specimens from various hospital departments and physician offices. Tasks require fine manual dexterity and technical skill to produce quality tissue slides for microscopic diagnostic interpretation. Duties are repetitive in nature but require precise adherence to detail. Performance of routine microtomy, staining, special staining and cryotomy is required. Candidate must understand theories and principles involved in the performance of all Histology procedures. Frequent communication outside of the work group is required to resolve disagreements, reach agreements and clarify issues/processes. Responsibility exists to ensure that internal customers are satisfied with service. Communication with external contacts is for providing or receiving factual information. Courtesy and tact are required in dealing with customers. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with Ascension Health Core Values, St. Agnes policies/ procedures and applicable civil laws. Is accountable for efficient use of resources and support of the St. Agnes mission. Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Appropriately evaluates test orders and associated specimens for validity during pre-analytical phase of laboratory testing. Ø Knows and applies specimen tissue code required for accurate specimen accessioning, testing and billing. Ø Enforces criteria for rejection and appropriately documents in the specimen rejection log and in an occurrence report form (ORF). Ø Resolves issues of specimen criteria using appropriate resources (procedures, alpha test list, and desktop guides). Ø Proper specimen processing for all requests including referral testing. Ø Assists in the processing and ordering of referral testing. Ø Demonstrates attention to detail
• Accurately performs all required functions of the analytical phase in laboratory testing in a timely manner. Ø Performs analytical testing accurately and within prescribed time and procedural limits. Ø Applies theoretical knowledge of fixation, dehydration, infiltration in tissue processing, decalcification, embedding and staining to produce high quality histologic slides. Ø Demonstrates acceptable techniques in microtomy/cryotomy to produce quality tissue sections for microscopic review. Ø Performs histochemical and impregnation staining procedures and verifies the accuracy of each by utilizing established quality control policies. Ø Performs all related activities such as instrument set up and other required function checks and maintenance as required by laboratory protocol. Ø Performs quality control checks as prescribed, responds appropriately to unsatisfactory results, and documents all remedial action. Ø Utilizes Laboratory Information System (LIS) efficiently to complete testing with required electronic documentation. Ø Follows all ensures QA/QC protocols to insure integrity of specimens. Ø Investigates, communicates, and documents issues and problems related to equipment function. Ø Communicates specimen related issues to all personnel necessary. Ø Follows end of shift protocols such as master specimen log/block resolution, slide printing, inventory restocking, and cleaning work areas. Ø Accepts personal responsibility for performing at a high level of productivity.
• Assists with training of employees, students, and provides technical support to coworkers when possible. Ø Orients and trains new employees/students when assigned. Ø Provides technical support to coworkers. Ø Participates in training for new methodologies. Ø Completes and submits training related documentation.
• Communicates effectively, verbally and in writing. Ø Immediately identifies self when answering phone. Resolves issue of caller using clear, polite, effective responses. Limits transfers. Ø Checks electronic mail at the start of each scheduled shift for critical updates. Responds when indicated. Ø Conveys “need to know” information with other lab associates. Ø Documents concerns, complaints, instrument downtime, patient ID errors, failure to follow policy/procedure, Meditech downtime, and QC issues through use of occurrence report form.
• Participates in the quality improvement activities of the department. Ø Evaluates the quality of the laboratory department; assures compliance with quality control/function requirements. Ø Participates in proficiency testing programs, safety standards, and accreditation requirements. Ø Assures the quality of laboratory services provided to customers and that laboratory standards are maintained in compliance with accreditation/licensure requirements. Ø Maintains knowledge base of CAP and the Joint Commission requirements and adheres to the regulations. Ø Practices and contributes to culture of “inspection readiness”.
• Safety Requirements Ø Demonstrates use of appropriate personal protective equipment. Ø Understands and demonstrates safe work practices. Ø Notifies supervisory personnel of unsafe conditions. Ø Promptly requests service for resolution of unsafe working conditions.
• Shows personal accountability in all required activities of employment. Ø Completes mandatory requirements within required time frame. Ø Completes requested or assigned duties within time frame allotted to include but not limited to procedure development, correlation studies, and assigned duties. Notifies supervisor or leads of progress and potential delays. Ø Maintains a clean and safe work area; stocked appropriately for next shift. Ø Adheres to all HR policies such as dress code, attendance, and clocking in. Ø Adheres to HIPPA requirements concerning patient confidentiality; maintains awareness of viewable patient information and limits access to patient data on a need to know basis. Ø Remains accountable to lab policies, such as on call coverage. Ø Maximizes use of hospital resources. Remains productive at all times. Ø Shows personal accountability in all required activities of employment. Ø Attends scheduled departmental meetings during work hours as directed by supervisory personnel. Promotes teamwork within department; initiates effective intra- and interdepartmental communications
– Consistently and independently follows established safety and infection control procedures. Intervenes in unsafe situations. – Complies with the standards of conduct and Corporate Responsibility Program and seeks guidance when in doubt. – Meets or exceeds expectations of individuals for whom service is provided.
– Participates on interdepartmental, hospital and departmental committees as appropriate.
Required Education: High School Diploma or equivalent Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or basic science related field with:
• HT Certification by the Board of Registry of the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
• Or HT (ASCP) Registry eligible. Required License, Certification and/or Registration: HT ASCP Certified. Preferred License, Certification and/or Registration: HT Board of Registry from the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Required Experience: Clinical experience as a component of program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or one year of recent experience as a Histology technician in a hospital Histology laboratory setting. Preferred Experience: Five (5) years of recent and extensive experience in a hospital Histology laboratory setting.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities. Supervision received from: Lead Histology Technician HJ
To provide for the well-being of our patients, visitors, and staff, St. Agnes HealthCare requires that all prospective employees pass a criminal background check and drug/alcohol screening.