Astellas is the bright spot in the pharmaceutical industry -- not just because of what we do, but in the way we do it. If you are looking for a company where you can change a life, make a dream come true, and light the way for a better tomorrow, Astellas is the place where you can shine. We offer a different kind of work culture. A high standard of ethics is mandatory. Quality is our pledge. Diversity is valued. Individual initiative is rewarded. Astellas offers an environment where our employees can make a real difference. Come, shine with us!
Astellas is announcing a Senior Director, Marketing Sciences role in our Northbrook, IL location.
The scope of the Senior Director Marketing Sciences position is to provide strategic oversight & management of the Competitive Intelligence, Marketing Analytics, Market Intelligence and Business Development & Licensing and Analysis functions. This person will lead and direct cross-functional team to plan, develop, execute, and synthesize primary and secondary research, marketing analytics and competitive intelligence to address business information needs. This individual is a member of the Commercial Leadership team and acts as a strategic partner to the VP's of Marketing, VP New Business Development and the Senior Director of Strategic New Product Planning.
This position works closely with executive leadership across APUS, AUS, APEL, API and other affiliates. In addition, this individual plays a key role with current and future co-promotion partners providing oversight to joint promotion activities and product launch planning.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
The Senior Director, Marketing Sciences directs a cross-functional team to provide strategic direction, operational support, planning & insight to the commercial organization and ensure long term goal achievement by appropriately investing in people, systems, & process.
•This position is responsible for leading the Competitive Intelligence, Marketing Analytics, Market Intelligence and Business Development & Licensing and Analysis functions teams within Astellas Pharma, US supporting APUS Marketing and New Product Planning functions.
•From a Market Intelligence perspective: Leading this area requires an advanced understanding of primary and secondary research tools and methodologies used to inform marketing strategy and assess product opportunities and performance. This area will identify & execute strategic market research and develop insights across prescribers, patients and payers to support strategic brand initiatives. This includes leading Strategic Brand Planning activities and other strategic exercises to inform the Strategic Plan processes.
•From a New Product Analysis perspective: Leading this area requires an understanding of forecasting modeling, primary market research, data sources and other secondary research to assess in-licensing opportunities, co-promotion opportunities and advise senior leadership on pipeline potential. This function acts as a strategic partner to SNPP, Business Development, API and external partners to ensure early stage market intelligence informs Phase II and Phase III decisions for optimal commercial success.
•From a Competitive Intelligence perspective: Leading this area requires an understanding of secondary data sources and strategic exercises to investigate analyze and anticipate competitor activity. This function partners closely with Market Intelligence, Marketing, Medical, Sales, SNPP and Global Marketing to monitor and evaluate competitor strategies & tactics.
•From a Marketing Analytics perspective: Leading this area requires an advanced understanding marketing strategy to conduct relative market analytics and response modeling to support strategic marketing decisions for all therapeutic areas in the commercial portfolio.
•Establish and manage annual MI budget that enables support of brands and annual company and cross-brand initiatives. Work with MI staff to identify internal and external resource requirements and negotiate resources to meet brand team needs. Provide well-supported input to budgeting decisions.
•Establish collaboration processes to ensure development of insight plans that systematically address brands' strategic objectives and tactical requirements.
•Develop, standardize and implement best practices and innovations to improve the business impact of all MI activities.
•Identify, recommend and implement opportunities for efficiency in processes and methodologies.
•Bring innovative approaches and techniques into the organization that enhance customer understanding.
•Manage a department of 4 functional units with over 25 professionals.
•Manage an Operating Budget in excess of $15M annually.
•Manage relationships with multiple co-promotion partners MSOPs departments, various internal stakeholders and 50+ marketing vendors.
•Ensure accurate and on-time completion of key commercial initiatives.
•Strategic partner to Corporate and Senior US Leadership including Legal, Strategic New Product Planning, Business Development, Corporate Planning, Marketing, Finance, Sales and Health Systems.This position requires close collaboration with leaders across many functional areas, commercial and non-commercial, within Astellas. Additionally, the Director, Marketing Sciences will be a key decision maker with regards to business development opportunities and co-promotion decisions.
• A minimum of 10 years in a management role in various Marketing Sciences roles.
• Business-related bachelor's degree required.
• Minimum 10 years experience leading cross-functional teams.
• Knowledge of Marketing Strategy, Primary & Secondary Market Research, syndicated data sources, operational process design, and PDMA/PhRMA regulations is required.
• Demonstrated business acumen in finance, forecasting, systems & proven ability in translating ideas into concepts, gaining acceptance & delivering results on time.
• Overall knowledge & trends within the US Health Care industry, including major competitors, Provider and Payer dynamics.
• Strong business process design & re-engineering experience.
• Ability to consult, draw out issues, conduct root cause analysis & build customer focused recommendations.
• Ability to prioritize critical tasks & maintain high degree of accuracy amid competing deadlines.
• Proven process improvement skills.
• Exceptional organizational & time/task management skills.
• Proven analytical & problem solving skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills & persuasiveness.
• Effective communication & presentation skills.
• Proven Leadership Capabilities:
• Drives Performance: Holds self and others accountable for the achievement of performance expectations. Creates an environment that enables others to perform at their best.
• Thinks Strategically: Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities, combining forethought with action. This is based on an understanding of the external environment and its impact on Astellas brands.
• Develops People and Organization: Demonstrates a genuine commitment to the time and effort needed to develop oneself and others.
• Works Collaboratively: Actively creates and promotes cross-boundary collaboration with the aim of achieving better business results. Boundaries can exist between individuals, geographies, cultures, teams, functions, organizations, etc.
• Acts Decisively: Makes and acts on decisions quickly and effectively and fosters the same in others. This is based on an underlying courage to enable risk-taking for the business.
• MBA or advanced degree (Business).