Job Requisition ID:
DS10700 Job Title:
GENERAL MANAGER Job Type:
Herndon, VA Post Date:
Contributed Goods and Retail Operations
Regional Manager and VP of Donated Goods
Ultimate and final responsibility for the overall operation of the retail store. This includes both the production activities and the retail selling floor. This includes customer services, record keeping, facility operation, merchandising, inventory control and budgeting. Also included is the overall production efficiency, production room, housekeeping standards and coordination of merchandise flow.
Please be aware that as a member of Goodwill of Greater Washington’s Retail Staff, and a condition of employment, you will be required to work a flexible schedule. In support of store opening, production and closing operations, this schedule will include work on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accountable for the overall operation of the retail store.
- Oversees all production levels and quality of merchandise to the sales floor to optimize revenue generation. Manages inventory levels of all merchandise lines.
- Monitors and ensures a smooth and effective flow of donations adhering to all published standards, security, safety and state laws.
- Maintains staffing levels in production and on the sales floor while attaining budgeted payroll expense. This includes hiring, and training all new associates.
- Performs all requested bookkeeping, accounting and reporting requirements on a timely basis including but not limited to surveys, production reports and sales reports.
- Maintains effective email, phone and face to face communication to home office.
- Creates an atmosphere of ongoing exceptional customer service every day. This includes internal customer service between employees and external service to donors and retail customers.
- Assists customers and handles all complaints.
- Understands competition in the trading area and is prepared to react to competitive situations.
- Responsible for all presentation standards and merchandising standards on the sales floor.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe environment for costumers & employees.
- Responsible for maintaining a neat and orderly store that is properly equipped and supplied to meet all budgetary requirements.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the store’s opening and closing.
- Oversees sales transactions associated with purchases and ensures proper sales procedures are followed.
- Monitors the time and attendance system and submits information on a timely basis.
- Keeps Retail Recruiter and Regional Director abreast of staffing needs.
- Maintains the general appearance of the store and premises according to agency standards.
- Ensures that all employees are properly trained.
- Complies with and enforces company policy and standards.
- Monitors safety and security procedures and ensures safety procedures are enforced on an ongoing basis.
- Supervises special sales and promotions.
- Attends division meetings as scheduled.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position has supervisory responsibility for the retail staff including the assistant retail manager, assistant production manager, keyholder(s), processors, donation attendants and sales associates.
- High school diploma or equivalent plus three to five years previous retail management experience.
- Ability to complete necessary paperwork and reports in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Great customer service skills and the ability to handle customer complaints in a fair, impartial and professional manner.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in handling day-to day situations
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field
- Previous experience working with the disabled and disadvantaged.
Please ensure that your resume reflects a history consistent with the duties and requirements desired for this position.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.