ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs, initiates, and implements patient care plan
- Explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain cooperation, understanding and allay apprehension
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques
- Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment and examination of patient
- Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient
- Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions, and notifies supervisor or physician of patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments and significant incidents
- Takes and records patients’ vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assesses condition of patient
- Responds to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures and protocol
- Documents nursing history and physical assessment for assigned patients
- Initiates a patient education plan according to the individualized needs of the patient as prescribed by the physician and/or hospital policy including patient and family instruction
- Rotates among various clinical services of institution such as obstetrics, orthopedics, surgery, outpatient and admitting, pediatrics, and psychiatry
- Prepares rooms, sterile instruments, equipment, and supplies for surgery
- Bathes, dresses, and assists patients in transferring, walking and turning
- Keeps rooms safe for patients, makes beds and answers patients’ calls
- Participates in department or unit quality improvement activities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Requires current licensure in the state of Oklahoma
1+ year practical nursing experience required
Pediatric (NICU/PICU/Homecare) experience preferred
Ability to write routine reports and required correspondence as required by BrightStar guidelines. Ability to respond professionally and appropriately on behalf of BrightStar. Must be able to appropriately respond to and maintain confidential information at all times.
Is familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Must possess the ability to handle confidential information and act as the BrightStar spokesperson. Must also possess the ability to respond appropriately in a balanced and objective manner in all situations. Excellent listening skills are essential. Requires outstanding organizational skills, problem solving skills, thoroughness, adaptability to shifting priorities and multi-tasking. Requires exceptional interpersonal skills and exhibit a service orientation towards others. Must have the ability to demonstrate solid judgment and discretion. Must also demonstrate a sense of understanding and urgency for priorities. Will require the ability to appropriately troubleshoot and escalate where necessary, problems/issues to the appropriate individual.
Requires familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Employee must be able to perform the essential functions of this job, such as physical requirements including (but not limited to) climbing stairs, the ability to lift/transfer patients and drive.
- Successful candidate must submit to post offer, pre-employment physical examination/medical history check, drug screening and background check.
- May be required to submit to annual TB and rubella screening. Ability to safely lift, and physically manipulate patients.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office/home environment
- Moderate physical activity, occasional lifting up to 50lbs, standing or walking for more than 4 hours per day
- Home environment involves possible exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following safety precautions and may include use of protective equipment.