Candeo is a non-profit organization located in Johnston, Iowa that supports individuals with disabilities within Polk County to live independently within the community. We are looking to fill the following direct support staff positions:
Supported Community Living Instructor:
Supported Community Living Instructors support people with intellectual disabilities live independently in the community by teaching independent living skills.
Instructor of Brain Injury Services:
Instructors of Brain Injury Services support people with brain injury disabilities live independently in the community by teaching independent living skills.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Demonstrates knowledge, understanding and implementation of the client’s Life Plan, in accordance with client’s preferences.
2. Follows established safety practices and procedures to ensure a safe and healthy environment for clients and the organization.
3. Works effectively within a team to enhance service delivery while respecting the right to privacy of the client, and confidentiality requirements of Candeo.
4. Uses initiative to think creatively, learn and grow; while following through with the challenges of the positions.
5. Models and uses good decision making skills and accesses appropriate resources to assist in the developing quality services for clients.
6. Solicits the priorities and preferences of clients and communicates those to the team as needed to enhance service delivery.
7. Attends organizational and client-specific training and provides documentation of certifications required for employment with Candeo.
8. Complies with documentation policies by submitting accurate and timely paperwork, including progress notes, timesheets, expense logs, and other required reports.
9. Maintains documentation of services provided that clearly and legibly reflects the client’s goals, staff intervention and support, client response and progress made.
10. Support’s Candeo’s Mission to inspire clients to achieve their personal goals by modeling the values of the organization.
11. Serves as role model for Candeo clients and coworkers.
12. Performs other related duties or projects as assigned by Service Coordinator.
13. Implements client person-centered programming as instructed in the client’s Life Plan and Behavior Support Plan.
14. Reports and documents pertinent behavioral information through incident reports and behavioral tracking forms.
15. Provides instruction in a consistent manner and communicates with the team as needed to ensure consistency in programming.
We have part-time, full-time and casual opportunities available. Hours may include days, evenings, weekends and overnights. Candeo offers a competitive wage of $10.00 to $14.25 per hour depending on education and experience.
Candeo started with a group of passionate and driven parents whom had teenagers with significant disabilities transitioning from high school into the community. This group of parents were dismayed that their only option was to place their children outside of the Ankeny area where they had relationships with other students and with community members at local establishments and send them to a large segregated group home. In 1993, this group of parents created Creative Community Options which provided supported employment services and supported community living services. In 2008 we decided to change our name to “Candeo”. Candeo is a Latin word that means “to grow” and that is what we do when providing services to our clients; we help them grow and attain their personal goals. Candeo also means “to shine, to grow brilliant”. The services that we provide to our clients allow them to shine with brilliance in their everyday lives.