PrimeCare Medical is currently looking for a Physicians Assistant or a Nurse Practitioner to work in the medical department at the York County Prison. In this role the job duties are to screen the medical complaints of all inmate/patients by physical examination; or to evaluate inmates/patients on sick line and to present to the attending physician those inmate/patients who require further diagnostic or therapeutic procedures. The primary focus of this position is to perform physical examinations on all newly incarcerated inmate/patients. Patients who demonstrate clinical complications outside the physician assistant scope of practice shall be referred to the attending physician.
The PA or NP will perform a variety of duties such as suturing, administering injections and medications, drawing blood samples and evaluation of diagnostic findings. They will also be responsible for the following…
• Ensure complete, accurate and timely medical entries are made for each inmate/patient contact.
• Provide counseling and education on common medical problems.
• Perform histories and physicals on all newly committed inmates/patients in accordance with NCCHC/ACA Standards, facility requirements, and PCM policies and procedures.
• Comply with standards of care in accordance with NCCHC/ACA and accepted medical standards.
• Maintain confidentiality of medical unit information at all times.
• Develop and conduct in-service education programs according to annual in-service calendar, as assigned by PCM Medical Director and/or Medical Administrator.
• Submit copy of professional license, certificate of liability insurance coverage, and CPR certification.
• Provide other services as required at the request of the PCM Medical Director and/or Medical Administrator. Review inmate/patient records to determine health status and initiate necessary treatment.
• Screen inmate/patient sick call requests to determine appropriate follow up care.
• Evaluate inmate/patients at sick call for common complaints.
• Order appropriate laboratory tests and X-rays.
• Order specialty consultations when indicated.
• Provide ongoing, continuous care for inmates/patients with chronic medical problems such as asthma, hypertension, and diabetes.
• Collect specimens for, and carry out commonly performed blood, urine, and stool analyses and cultures.
• Evaluate and initiate treatment in emergency situations such as cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, hemorrhage, burns, and injuries.
• Prescribe therapeutic modalities such as medications and diets in accordance with regulations.