Data Center Ops Tech I
Join our team and take your career to the next level. Windstream is a communications and technology solutions provider with operations in 48 states and the District of Columbia, generating about $6 billion in annual revenues. We provide IP-based voice and data services, MPLS networking, data center and managed hosting services and communication systems to businesses and government agencies. Windstream also delivers broadband, digital phone and high-definition TV services to residential customers primarily in rural areas and we operate a local and long-haul fiber optic network spanning 100,000 route miles.
The Operations Technician requires basic technical skills and capabilities. The ability to organize technical tasks, as well as the ability to develop a detail oriented technical problem solving approach. This position requires someone who can identify issues independently and resolve issues with little to no supervision. A strong customer service background and experience dealing with customers is a must. General assignments will include, but not limited to: entry-level technical tasks; cabinet prep, stock handling, racking servers, cabling pulling, cleaning, working around HVAC and electrical equipment and organizational tasks.
Job Accountability/Responsibility/Technical Skills:
- Assemble/build hardware to meet client/service order specifications
- Test in-stock hardware to determine functional status
- Run diagnostic suites on Dell, Sun and HP servers
- Build servers using Approved OS images via ghost or kick-start
- Assist in the installation, racking, and cabling of equipment
- Run, terminate, and test cables
- Demonstrate proficiency with operations applications, e-mail, IRC, MS Office, etc.
- Equipment monitoring
- General understanding of TCP/IP principles
- User level experience with at least one Operating System
- Provide remote hands and eyes support for customer issues/concerns
- General knowledge of computer system hardware setup and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to inspect and troubleshoot issues around electrical and mechanical equipment
- Maintain organization within the build room and stock area
- Maintain cleanliness of stockroom, NOC and data center
- Track, organize, and inventory spares
- Performs 1st level customer service
- Maintain a presentable appearance
- Maintain professional communications and attitude with clients
- Document all client requests and conversations via electronic ticketing system
- Ticket creation, adherence to customer sign-in and authentication procedures
High school diploma or equivalent
In process of obtaining a Technical degree, 2-year college degree preferred, or equivalent work experience may substitute for degree
1 year related work experience preferred or technical training equivalent
Successfully complete internal training certification programs with within designated timeframes
Must possess strong customer service attitude and interpersonal skills
Must be reliable and punctual – critical that this position is covered at all scheduled times
Proven ability to work effectively and cooperatively with others as well as independently
Demonstrated flexibility, organization, and self-motivation
A general understanding of TCP/IP principles, DNS, user level experience with at least one Operating System and general computer system hardware setup and troubleshooting skills
Maintain professional communications with clients at all time
Able to multitask while effectively responding to critical severity situations
Detail oriented with excellent written and verbal communication
Demonstrates Hosted Solutions values
Preferred Knowledge/Skill Requirements:
Network Operations Center Experience
Help desk experience
Support of systems with strict SLA requirements
Hands-on Personal Computer experience
Network administration/Systems Administration
Technical account management
Professional Dues Reimbursement
Career Development and Training
Paid Time Off
Medical and Dental Insurance Options
Prescription Drug Plan and Vision Coverage
Pre-Tax Flexible Spending Accounts
401(k) Plan With Employer Match
Experience the benefits of a growing company
For all that you put into your job, you deserve the best in return. From a friendly, team-based environment to progressive salaries and health plans, our benefits work hard for you. See for yourself.
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. EOE/AAP Employer.
There is no relocation package offered for this position.
We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package,
and opportunities to grow your career within an excellent working environment.
WINDSTREAM IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.