The history of Fairway started in 1933 with Nathan Glickberg. He founded a small fruit and vegetable stand simply to support his family.
In 1954, Nathan and his son, Leo, partnered to create the beginnings of the first store at 74th St. and Broadway. In 1974, after having grown up learning the family trade, Leo’s son, Howie Glickberg, came into the business with a bigger dream and grander vision of growing Fairway. Howie inherited sawdust covered wooden floors, item racks supported by milk crates, and a square footage that only had room for four cash registers. With an extraordinary work ethic, Howie wasted no time looking for opportunities to expand, and soon Fairway lived up to its slogan "LIKE NO OTHER MARKET®," which is a registered trademark of the company. He brought in two partners, Harold Seybert and David Sneddon, and together the three of them catapulted Fairway well beyond anything that Howie’s grandfather, Nathan, could have imagined.