Mat-Su Regional Medical Center's history began in 1935 when President FDR relocated stricken farmers from Minnesota to the lush Matanuska Valley as part of his "New Deal." These "colonists" founded the "New Colony Hospital" in Palmer, AK to serve the Matanuska Colony and area Natives, miners, trappers and farmers. The original structure burned to the ground in 1946 and services were relocated to different borough buildings for several years. The name of the facility changed to Valley Hospital in 1947, when Valley Hospital Association (VHA) was incorporated. VHA rebuilt the hospital in 1952 and financed its construction through the "Pennies for Palmer" crusade held nationwide by the Presbyterian Church. An outpatient center was added in 1989 in Wasilla, AK to accommodate space for physician practices and to provide health care services to the growing population in the north and west ends of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough. VHA merged with Triad Hospitals, Inc. in December 2003 in order to build a new acute care facility in a more central location between Palmer and Wasilla, AK. The new hospital was named Mat-Su Regional Medical Center.
2500 S. Woodworth Loop
P.O. Box 1687
Palmer, Alaska 99645 -(907) 861-6000
at Mat-Su Regional Medical Center