Desktop support Level 2-Queens, NY

Job Description

Smartsource is looking for a Level 2 Desktop support / Systems admin to work for a small Managed IT company in Whitestone/Queens, NY

Title: Desktop support/systems engineer for a Managed IT services company.

Location: 11357-NYC Metro

Compensation: $50k - $80k (based on experience)

Employment type: Direct hire with Benefits

Environment: Small Managed IT company (10 Employees)

Benefits include: Health insurance is covered at 100% for the candidate, 2 weeks vacation, 5 PTO/ SICK days, extra pay for working on call hours and or after hours when needed. Training is covered at 100% and additional pay is offered to those who take exams that are in line with Computer certifications. Simple IRA with (matching offered).


We are seeking to hire an intelligent and experienced Level 2 Desktop support/systems engineer for a full-time position, available immediately.

The position is primarily focused on supporting existing clients IT infrastructure including desktops, servers, storage, firewalls, routers & connectivity.

75% of the work will be performed from the main office in Whitestone, NY with the remaining 25% onsite within our clients offices located throughout the NYC Metro area.

This position is a front-line, customer facing role. Solid communications skills and the ability to uncover unmet needs are critical for success.


• Must be able to support the following:

Microsoft Windows XP, 7 & 8

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 & 2008 (2012 a plus)

Exchange Server 2003, 2007 & 2010 (2013 a plus)

Virtualized Server Environments (VMware and/or Hyper-V)

Firewalls, VPNs, WiFi (Cisco, Meraki, SonicWall and/or Watchguard)

Desktop Apps: Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Intuit Quick Books, …

• Must haves:

Previous experience working for an MSP, Systems Integrator, VAR, …

Ability to multitask & work on multiple service tickets & projects concurrently

Ability to work independently and with a team

Valid driver's license, car, and willingness to travel to local clients

• Preferred but not essential:

Ability to support Citrix XenApp or Terminal Server

Certifications: Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, SonicWall, Watchguard, HP, Dell

Experience with ConnectWise & Kaseya

4 year College degree

Contact Carissa today if you are a good fit. 630-818-1053 or send your resume to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]

Job Requirements

Network Engineer Level 2
MUST HAVE experience working for a Managed IT Services company.

Job Snapshot

Base Pay $50,000.00 - $90,000.00 /Year
Employment Type Full-Time
Job Type Information Technology, Consultant
Education None
Experience None
Manages Others Not Specified
Industry Other Great Industries
Required Travel Negligible
Job ID 11497-1
CareerBuilder Tip:
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.

By applying to a job using you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.

Desktop support Level 2-Queens, NY

Enter notes about this job: