Smart Source is looking for a Network Engineer for a support opportunity in Livonia, MI
Job Type: contract
Duration: 6 months
Location: Livonia, Michigan 48152
Normal Business Hours
Operating within the core values and operating principles of the organization, the Network Support Engineer’s responsibility is to support the company’s network environment. This includes installing, maintaining, supporting, configuring and optimizing all network systems and services, including LAN/WAN, Telecommunications, Distributed Servers and VM. The person will also analyze and resolve network issues timely and accurately, supporting user needs where required. Strong experience with MPLS and VPN networks, Cisco routers and switches, wireless networking, firewalls, load balancing and VoIP required. They are a creative, technical thinker who is quick to respond when required and enjoys developing in other technical areas. They require little supervision but works well under direction and leadership provided to them. They possess the ability to lead others in the technical duties which are required of the department.
Ensures the appropriate devices and processes are in place to support the organization’s network environment.
Manage the overall security of the network and ensure intrusion prevention systems are working properly.
Proactively analyze and monitor the network infrastructure and recommend, develop and implement improvements.
Performs periodic reviews of the technical operating environment and ensures adherence to corporate networking standards. Where standards are unclear, or undefined, they drive the creation or updating of policies and procedures.
Identifies deficiencies in the network environment, determines the appropriate resolution of those items and implements them in a timely manner.
Identifies opportunities for optimizing the network environment and works toward implementing continuous process improvements.
Resolves Help Desk tickets related to areas of assigned responsibility. Uses advanced problem analysis skills to isolate and identify user problems, including issues escalated from other staff.
Maintains up to date, clear and concise documentation representative of the operating environment which includes Visio diagrams, standards and procedures.
Helps develop and executes plans for deployment of technological solutions that meet users’ requirements, are cost-effective, adhere to corporate standards and integrate with existing environment.
Collaborates with team members to develop and test Disaster Recovery plans.
Actively participates in project meetings and provides input to design and implementation of network solutions. Able to adjust to changes in project scope, timing, costs while maintaining quality and client satisfaction.
Follows company Change Management processes for the implementation of changes in the Production network environment.
Facilitates multiple high priority projects, tasks, and initiatives simultaneously while also effectively prioritizing work.
Demonstrates good balance between working independently as well as with the team. Consistently demonstrates teamwork and ability to drive others among peers and across the company.
Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity and ability to work effectively with staff, various stakeholders, business partners and vendors.
Possesses a sense of urgency to complete work on time and with quality.
Perform support and maintenance to the production systems, including on-call support outside of “normal” working hours.
Willingness to work overtime, weekends and irregular hours.
• College level coursework in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or equivalent work experience required. Bachelor degree preferred.
• 3 – 7 years’ experience in a technical network support role involving a variety of infrastructure and application technologies.
• One or more relevant technical certifications (i.e. CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, VCP, MCSE, CCNA-Voice, CCNP-Voice, etc.) preferred
• Demonstrated experience diagnosing technical issues at all OSI layers
• Strong hands-on knowledge of the installation, implementation, and maintenance of network equipment
• Demonstrated experience and strong fundamental working knowledge of wide area network and local area network technologies, protocols, enterprise firewall, load balancing, VLANs, monitoring, and industry solutions.
• Strong experience in working with Load Balancers, Firewalls, RSA, VLANs, QoS, CoS, VoIP, MPLS, routers, switches and wireless networking.
• Strong demonstrated experience with network technologies such as VPN, LAN, WAN, Firewalls and WLAN products from Cisco.